I absolutely adore cooked breakfasts, but as I’ve become more aware about what and how I cook, I’ve eaten them less and less often, opting instead for a poached egg or bowl of porridge. And so, here’s my recipe for a Healthier Cooked Breakfast, perfect for the Weekend or that odd day off!
I think this version of a cooked breakfast is nicer than the usual, as the delicious eggs and bacon aren’t sat in their own fat / oil. Instead, I’ve used a griddle pan for the bacon and poached the egg instead of frying. My favourite bits of this breakie has to be the avocado and roasted tomatoes, so delicious!
This was something that Peter and I enjoyed on our lazy Saturday morning as a bit of a brunch. The method I’ve popped down here for the poached egg is one I’ve tried a couple of times now and seems to work, no more disappointing broken or hard poached eggs, phew! Hopefully you’ll have the same luck.
So, lets get to it!
A Healthier Cooked Breakfast – Method
Easy – 20 minutes
- Coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence
- 4x Rashers of Bacon (good quality)
- 2x Free Range Medium Eggs
- 8x tomatoes (on the vine or not too big)
- 4x small pieces of bread (Rye / Sourdough / organic brown bread)
- 1-2 Avocado (2 if small avos)
- Small handful of chopped Coriander
- Himalayan Pink Salt (or sea salt)
- Chilli Flakes
- Boiling Water (250ml)
- A teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Griddle Pan (if you don’t have one, grill the bacon instead, after the tomatoes)
- Small Baking Tray
- Pyrex Bowl
- Small to Medium Pan
- Slotted spoon
- Two tea cups or ramekins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Wash the tomatoes, leave on the vine if using vine tomatoes. Rub each tomato with a good amount of coconut oil. Place on the baking tray and sprinkle with the Herbes de Provence, and a twist of salt and pepper. Pop in the oven and roast for 15mins.
- Cut open your avocados (gently run a knive round it and twist apart), scoop out the stone and discard. Use a spoon to get all the delicious flesh out and pop into the pyrex bowl. Throw away the skins.
- Mash the avo with a fork and add the chopped coriander). Mash again, add a sprinkle of chilli flakes, a twist of salt and pepper. Pop to one side.
- Next, get the griddle pan heating up on a high heat, using the largest ring/hob on the cooker. There’s generally no need to add oil, but if you do, just add a little nob of coconut oil. Once the pan is at a reasonable temperature, lay out your rashers on the pan and cook until both sides are a nice pink or turning a little crispy (depending on how you like it!).
- Once the timer is up, take the tomatoes out of the oven and leave to cool. Place the bacon on a small plate and dab with kitchen towel to remove any remaining fat.
- Add boiling water to the pan and get simmering. Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a twist of salt to the water.
- Crack each egg into a cup (this allows it to settle and helps to gently pour into the pan). Pour each egg into the pan and switch on a timer for 2minutes.
- Whilst the eggs are doing, assemble your plate with four tomatoes each, two rashers of bacon and using a fork, a good dollop of avocado spread onto the bread.
- Now the eggs should be done and will (fingers crossed!) have risen to the top of the water, containing a deliciously runny yolk. Scoop the egg out gently with a slotted spoon and place carefully on your plate.
- Pour yourself a glass of water, and take everything to the table to enjoy!
What’s your favourite way to have a cooked breakfast? If you give this recipe a go, please please share your thoughts and pictures with me!