One day whilst working from home, I started to get a craving for smashed avocado. The problem was, I had nothing to smash it on to, no bread, no crackers and no roasted potato wedges. I told myself I just couldn’t have it that day.
Well, obviously I couldn’t just sit back and take no for an answer, so I went in search of something else suitable for pairing with the green goddess that is a soft silky avo mixed with olive oil, chilli flakes and other tasty bits. I happened across a juicy red pepper which we’d received in our vegbox, it looked like the perfect sturdy cup.
So, if you have a craving for avocado but have no bread, look no further than this deliciously juicy healthy snack!
Easy Smashed Avocado Pepper Cups
Serves 2 (For a snack, a half of a pepper serves one person)
Easy – 5-10minutes
- 1 Medium sized red pepper (yellow pepper would also work well)
- 1 medium sized ripe avocado
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Small handful of coriander
- Chilli Flakes
- Himalayan Salt / Sea Salt
- Optional: handful of cherry tomatoes
- Half your pepper. (I did this the normal way by cutting the very top off and then deseeding the pepper – I then used the leftover pepper bits which surround the stalk, chopped up in the avocado. However, you might want to slice the pepper lengthways so it retains its lid!)
- Deseed the pepper.
- Run a knife around the avocado and twist the two halves apart. Scoop out the juicy flesh into a bowl and discard the stone and skin.
- Smash the avocado with a fork against the bowl until it is fairly smooth with a few lumpy bits.
- Roughly chop the coriander and add to the bowl, along with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well and add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Use a spoon to scoop the avocado mix into the two red pepper cups.
- Serve on a plate and tuck in! Peter and I used our hands and didn’t bother with cutlery! Saves on washing up!!